One of the major challenges posed by IAS Civil Services Exam to an IAS aspirant is the enormity of syllabus. Most of us will always be running against the time. As the date of UPSC Prelims exam gets closer there will be the necessity to revise the syllabus. Revision certainly does not mean going through the entire Prelims syllabus word-para-verse once again. But it literally means to see again, to refine, to reorganise. The more you revise, more depth you will get in your prelims exam preparations. This essence of revision is to be kept in mind.
The question now is, how to effectively revise for UPSC Prelims Exam 2020? Or, what should be the strategy for effective revision for Prelims?
Just like study techniques, there is no fixed revision format or method. It’s more of a personal choice. An aspirant will have to design and build one that suits his or her needs. One should build a UPSC prelims revision strategy that is in consonance with your study pattern and fits in well with the overall preparation for the IAS exam. Your IAS Prelims revision strategy should help you to achieve your goal in the best possible way.
ROLE OF RAU’S IAS PRELIMS TEST SERIES IN REVISION FOR UPSC PRELIMS EXAM
One of the best tool to do revision is to take tests. Undertaking tests will not only help you in self-assessment but will also enrich your knowledge.
►UPSC PRELIMS TEST SERIES
- Tests offered in Prelims Test Series are at three levels; Topic Tests, Thematic Tests and Full Length Tests. Along with this, there are monthly tests on Current Affairs
- One of the biggest advantage of Rau’s IAS Test Series is the flexibility it offers to take these tests. Student can take these prelims tests online or can choose to come to Rau’s Exam Centre and take tests in pen and paper format (offline) in the simulated environment of actual exam conditions. This aspect is also equally important for preparations as it helps in psychological conditioning of mind. Rau’s IAS Exam centre is open on all seven days from 10:00 AM to 06:00 PM. What more can one ask for!
Rau’s IAS Prelim Test Series is available in many variants. Those who want to revise only Current Affairs can choose that module, others can choose a variant which has only Full Length Tests. The Comprehensive module includes everything like Topic Test, Thematic Test, FLTs, Current Affairs Tests etc. A student can choose from these variant’s as per requirement. To know more about Rau’s IAS Prelim Test Series click here.
Rau’s IAS Prelims Test Series not only offers tests but also offers a bouquet of other essentials for clearing Prelims. Along with tests, students also get access to-
►Quality Improvement Program (QIP)
Prelims Quality Improvement Program (QIP) videos are equivalent to the best crash course for UPSC Prelims exam. QIP videos are released one to two months before Prelims. These videos cover all themes important for Prelims. These QIP videos have been planned and prepared using Rau’s C3 approach (core – current – & related concepts) and include practice MCQs after every theme. More the revisions, better is preparation. There is an age old saying, Practice makes a Man perfect.
►Prelims Compass Books
These are subject wise Prelims compilations for speedy revision of the Prelims syllabus. They cover all important subjects and themes of the UPSC Prelims syllabus like the Government Schemes, Polity, Economy, Budget and Economic Survey, International Relations. You don’t need to refer to any other source to revise or update yourself. They cover both the static syllabus and related current affairs which are most important for the Prelims exam.
► FOCUS Current Affairs Analysis, monthly notes
Focus is monthly current affairs notes/compilation made from newspapers, magazines, Government sources, Yojana, Kurukshetra, etc. They are one stop solution or source for all current affairs important for Civil services exam for both the Prelims and Mains exams. However, Focus notes should be read monthly. If you have missed reading Focus notes on a monthly basis, do not try to consume all of them together before the Prelims exam. Just rely on Prelims Compass and that will give you all current affairs important for the Prelims. An effective revision is the one where you cover relevant content in lesser time.
GENERAL TIPS FOR AN EFFECTIVE AND EFFICIENT REVISION FOR PRELIMS EXAM
1. Revise static portions thoroughly.
2. Focus on the current affairs of last twelve months.
3. Go through all the mock tests/ test series you have attempted during your preparations. Many of the questions on current affairs and static part of syllabi are picked up as direct or indirect questions. Do not miss them. It feels very disheartening when you know that you had seen this question but are unable to recollect the right answer.
4. Usually, the tendency of a student is to read answer/explanation of only those questions which have gone wrong or were not attempted. It is strongly recommended that the explanation/ notes given for all the questions should be read, as these notes give you additional information and you would realise that ten more questions can be framed from the details given.
5. One of the strategies which is very effective in correctly answering multiple choice questions is the Method of Elimination. Sharpen your elimination skills. Do not leave any question just because you have not studied it. Read the options. Use your common sense.
RESOURCES FOR UPSC PRELIMS TEST SERIES
Prelims Test Series 2019 Analysis – Rau’s IAS Study Circle UPSC Prelims Test Series is unequivocally the best and has proven record in the past. In Prelims exam of 2019 there were fifty-four (54) questions which had been covered by Rau’s in its UPSC Prelims Test series and related Prelims study material alone. We have not captured the relevance of our blue workbooks and classes – GS Foundation and QIP. We have purely captured the number of questions which could be answered from the Prelims Test Series, DNS, Focus and Prelims Compass.
Wish you all good luck. Stay safe!