UPSC Current Affairs for UPSC IAS
UPSC Syllabus: Mains – GS Paper III – Indian Economy and Agriculture income
The Government with a view to augment the income of the farm families is implementing a Central Sector Scheme, namely,”Pradhan Mantri KIsan SAmman Nidhi (PM-KISAN)”. The Scheme is in effect from 01.12.2018.
With a view to provide income support to all land holding eligible farmer families, the Government has launched PM-KISAN. The scheme aims to supplement the financial needs of the farmers in procuring various inputs to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields, commensurate with the anticipated farm income.
Eligibility – It will be given per year to all landholder farmers’ families in the country except,
- All Institutional Land holders.
- Farmer families in which one or more of its members belong to following categories,
- a) Former and present holders of constitutional post.
- b) Former and present – Ministers/ State Ministers, MPs & MLAs
- c) Former and present Mayors of Municipal Corporations, Chairpersons of District Panchayats.
- d) All serving or retired officers and employees of Central/ State Government Ministries /Offices/Departments and its
field units Central or State PSEs and Attached offices /Autonomous Institutions under Government as well as regular
employees of the Local Bodies.
- e) All superannuated/retired pensioners whose monthly pension is Rs.10,000/-or more (Excluding Multi-Tasking
Staff / Class IV/Group D employees)
- f) All Persons who paid Income Tax in last assessment year.
- g) Professionals like Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, and Architects registered with
Professional bodies and carrying out profession by undertaking practices.
Conditions of the scheme:
- The amount will be given in three instalments of Rs.2000 each.
- The amount will be transferred directly to the bank account of beneficiaries through Direct Benefit Transfer to ensure transparency and save time for the farmers.
- The changes in land records after February 1, 2019 shall not be considered for this scheme.
- State Government and UT Administration will identify the beneficiaries.
- The cash transfer is not linked to the land size and hence it becomes an income supplement to landowning households.
- However, it has left the landless tenants out of its scope.