There is a saying that a strong building can’t be constructed on a weak foundation. NCERT books are the foundation for a strong and thorough preparations for CSE.
Why is reading NCERT books important for UPSC Civil Services Exam?
In sync with UPSC syllabus: NCERT books extensively cover the syllabus of UPSC civil services exam. On an analysis of UPSC previous years’ question papers, one will also find that many questions have been asked directly from the NCERT books. Also, the simplicity of their writing style and language is to be learnt to answer questions in UPSC Mains.
Lend conceptual clarity: NCERT books are written in a very simple and easy to understand manner which makes understanding concepts easy. That is why NCERT books are considered the first step in UPSC Civil Services exam preparation.
Authentic source of information: NCERT book are prepared by experts after extensive research and that makes them error free. Facts and information contained in NCERT books is to be considered as true and correct.
But it is also to be kept in mind that every book and every chapter of NCERT is not relevant for UPSC Civil Services Exam. The approach to read NCERT books should be subject wise in accordance with the prescribed UPSC syllabus (and not chapter wise). Look at the UPSC syllabus, identify the list of topics to be covered and then do a systematic reading of NCERT books.
Here is a list of NCERT and other standard reference books which will help beginners form a strong foundation:
- Old NCERT Class 11 – Ancient India by R S Sharma
- Old NCERT Class 11 – Medieval India by Satish Chandra
- NCERT Class 12 – Themes in Indian History, Part 1
- NCERT Class 12 – Themes in Indian History, Part 2
- NCERT Class 11 – An Introduction to Indian Art, Part 1
- Old NCERT Class 11 – Modern India by Bipan Chandra
- NCERT Class 12 – Themes in Indian History, Part-3
- Old NCERT (Class 10) – Story of civilization
- OLD NCERT (Class 12) – History of the World by Arjun dev
- NCERT Class 11 – Themes in World History
2. Geography & Environment
- NCERT Class 6 – The Earth our habitat
- NCERT Class 11 – Fundamentals of Physical Geography
- NCERT Class 11 – India Physical Environment
- NCERT Class 12 – Fundamentals of Human geography
- NCERT Class 12 –India People and Economy
3. Polity and Governance
4. Indian economy
- NCERT Class 10 – Understanding Economic Development
- NCERT Class 11 – Indian Economic Development
- Economics Class 12 – Macroeconomics
- Economics Class 12 – Microeconomics
5. Indian Society & Sociology
- NCERT Class 11 – Understanding Society
- NCERT Class 12 – Indian Society
- NCERT Class 12 – Social Change and Development in India
6. Science and Technology
7. Political Science & International Relations
- NCERT Class 12th – Contemporary World Politics.
- To download NCERT books free of cost click the link https://ncert.nic.in/textbook.php